Tuesday 10 July 2012

Romantic Break up at College

How many times have you heard those words “I will love you forever, nothing will ever change that”. My words too, as I have a great girlfriend of the last two years. We are totally in love and inseparable. We party together, we travel together, and we are so solid together it is a little bit scary. In fact for a couple of “kids”, as my dad calls us. We are doing very fine thank you.

But like any love, there is a slight thunder storm coming to blow problems on to our relationship. It is not another woman or a guy. It is not an argument about money, it is not even a worried discussion about marriage or babies. The problem is a positive problem, but it can have several negative aspects to it too.


I have been offered a great college position. Good for me, and everybody is happy for me to take it. The problem of course it is not around the corner, it is hundreds of miles away. Hundreds! It means I have to be apart from my girl for months at a time. We have not been apart more than three days in all the time we have known each other. Everybody is talking about how lucky I am, but no one is mentioning that Elephant in the room. No disrespect meant to my girlfriend, who is not in any way an Elephant, more like a beautiful Zebra.

In three weeks I have to go. In three weeks I have to leave her. In three weeks’ time we start our very first test on the stability of our relationship. My girl (Annie) works full time now in the bank. She will hardly get time off, so for her to come and see me is impossible when taking into account the time, distance and the living accommodations. She can only see me when I come home for visits.

I know she will not be tempted by any other guys. She really is not that sort of girl; she is totally devoted to me. I have never looked at another girl when I am with her. I have never thought of straying or even flirting with anybody else. But now I will be tested. I am after all a red blooded teenager.

I have heard stories that college provides great parties and maybe drugs. The party stuff is great, but I am not in to any drugs apart from what can come out of a bottle or a can of beer. The college will be full of beautiful girls all away from home too. Without Annie to correct or distract me, I have an awful feeling that I am going to be tempted. After all to go months without romance and more is impossible. I know I will start looking and I may flirt. But in my mind that is as far as I will go.

Well, I cannot say that really. I am unable to promise myself I won’t stray, but I do not want to leave Annie. I suppose that sounds rather pathetic? I can hear my mum saying it is all down to self-control. She would say there are more important things to be doing than chasing girls, like getting great grades, essay editing or playing in the football team. She may be right, but I do not think essay editing will be as exciting as flirting, or in any way being with my girl Annie
Simon Love is sure his relationship will last. Well mostly sure.

No comments:

Categories